Sunday, February 24, 2013

España: Valencia



Another highlight of our trip was going to Valencia.  After stopping at church along the way, we headed to this fascinating city.  I could definitely live here.  Spanish, good weather all year round, beautiful parks and fabulous museums.  


Here we are at the City of Arts and Sciences.  The architecture is incredible and the place is full of various museums. 



Anna and Mariah at the Science Museum.  We came here because this was the cheapest of all the attractions, but it's perfect for kids.



Natasha swinging in Spiderman's lair.

One of the best displays was the Superhero exhibit where kids got to understand some of the "science" behind superheros.  This is supposed to be a giant brick that makes you the size of a spider and shows how spiders use tiny grooves to climb walls.


Help!  It's the Incredible Hulk!


I took Mariah, Tyler and Natasha into the construction zone.  It is cleverly outfitted with soft bricks with which they lift, cart and build structures.

Natasha, the construction worker who was more fascinated with the water exhibit.

Mariah leading construction on the building.  I was amazed at how the kids (even though total strangers) naturally started cooperating with each other to get things done.  What does that say about human nature?

Gulliver's Park.  This is one of the most interesting play structures I have ever seen.  Valencia rerouted the river that used to run through the town (to control flooding).  In its place, it created a giant green space filled with paths and playgrounds (Valencia's version of Central Park).  This play structure is just one of many, but so creative.  It is a giant Gulliver tied down with ropes and filled with all sorts of slides and crevices.  The kids who play on it are the Lilliputians!

 Mariah standing by Gulliver's "hair".

Natasha and Mommy standing just above Gulliver's chest (see his lace blouse).

 The kids could have spent hours here.

Mariah navigating Gulliver's blouse.

Climbing through Gulliver's hand.

 Mariah and Tyler climbing Gulliver's sword.


Goodbye Valencia!


1 comment:

Erin said...

I've missed your blog! Just started reading again when it popped up into my feed. Looks like you are doing very well. Good luck w/ the rest of your pregnancy. LOVED seeing the Gulliver park. I will have to remember that.